Skip to main content
Variation/Progression/New Student (Inside Malaysia)

Variation/Progression/New Student
(Inside Malaysia)

Visa Application through UTHM

International students who wish to apply for Variation (i.e. from program A to program B either from the same or different faculty or change University) or Progression (from Bachelor to Master or from Master to PhD) must get the approval for a new visa from the Malaysia Immigration Department. 

With immediate effect, student who currently in Malaysia (except those from Language Center) need to apply visa via UTHM by the following 2 steps :

Step 1: Apply EMGS via UTHM


DOWNLOAD and fill-in application form/ checklist form



Step 2: Personal Bond & Immigration Office (once EMGS reach 80%)


DOWNLOAD application/checklist form


After arrival, please fill in  NEW STUDENTS 80%


Prepare the required documents and submit hardcopy to IO helpdesk


Students from Language Center in Malaysia are required to apply Visa directly with EMGS online at

Checklist Variation, Progression and New (Long-term Pass Holder)

Please take note that the approval for changing of program is upon discretion from the Malaysian Immigration Department. Normally the Malaysian Immigration Department will request additional documents such as current examination result, record of attendance and other required documents. The Malaysian Immigration Department have a right to not approve the new Visa and Pass (for change of program) if they found that the current result is not satisfactory or any other reason that does not comply with the Immigration’s regulation.

Current practice at UTHM is that the student will wait and apply to change the program of study from the University and then submit a new student pass application (change of program) when the current Student Pass is going to expire. This practice has been observed by the Malaysian Immigration Department as an offence whereby :

  1. The student has abused the use of his student pass (e. Approval for program A but is studying for program B although at the same level of study/ at the same faculty).
  2. Change the program first, then apply for changing of a program with the Malaysian Immigration Department (the reason given by the student is that the previous student pass is still valid).

The students will then face a great problem when their new pass and visa is rejected by the Immigration with the reason above.

To avoid any difficulty to the students, UTHM International Office is recommend that the application for a change of program (variation or progression) for international students must get a new approval VAL from the Education Malaysia Global Services/Malaysian Immigration Department before permission for variation or progression is allowed by UTHM. Students must cancel their current pass to apply for a variation or progression for apply a new program. There is a possibility that the Immigration Department will request the student to exit Malaysia while waiting for the new VAL to be approved.

If you are studying at any English Language Centre in Malaysia

If you wish to further study at UTHM (i.e. degree program at UTHM) you will be required to cancel pass with English Language Institution and  leave the country and make a new online VAL application.

If you are studying at other institution in Malaysia

You are required to obtain an Offer Letter from UTHM and Release Letter from the previous institution. The new application for Visa Approval Letter (VAL) can be done through EMGS website and the students have to self-apply for a new eVAL at [Education Malaysia Global Services (EMGS)] Please note that you need to shorten/cancel the current student pass with current institution.

Registration as new student can only be done on registration date as stipulate in the offer letter.

To avoid overstay, we advise you to apply a new VAL from home country.


You CANNOT convert the old student pass or carry on studying a different course using the same student pass. This is because the current Student Pass issued contains details of the specific course you are registered for. Undertaking studies for a different course or at a different institution would be contrary to the terms of your Student Pass. This is a breach of immigration rules.