Skip to main content



Who is Dependant?

Spouse (wife/husband) with children (below 17 years old) or Mother or Father. Family in Law/Siblings is not allowed to apply for dependent pass.


  1. The student applying must hold a valid student pass.
  2. Student are required to apply for Dependent VAL from Immigration Department prior dependent travelling to Malaysia for conversion to Dependent Pass.
  3. For a new born baby in Malaysia, please apply Dependent Visa and make Passport at your embassy within 3 months from date of birth. New born baby are required to attend at Immigration Office to make Special Pass before apply a dependent pass.
  4. The principle (student) must renew the student pass before dependent can submit for renewal.
  5. The expiry date of dependent pass cannot exceed the expiry date of principle (example: if the student pass expiry is on 22 February 2019, the dependent pass will expire earlier or on the same date which is 22 February 2019).

Steps to Apply Dependant Visa Renewal

  • DOWNLOAD and fill-in application form/[CHECKLIST FORM]

  • Fill in the dependent visa¬†[GOOGLE FORM]. Prepare and submit the document to International Office for verification. Please bring a complete document, incomplete documents will not be entertained.

  • Once the document is complete, you need to make payment for visa processing fees to IO and upload the proof of payment at¬†[HERE].

  • IO will process and submit your application to Malaysian Immigration Department (MID).

  • You need to check the¬†[COLLECTION STATUS]¬†and once it is ready to be collected, you can come to IO to collect your passport.¬†

Married students MUST enter Malaysia as a single traveller

The Immigration Department will only accept the dependent application / Visa With Reference (VDR) after completion of student (principle) pass. However, Undergraduate student is not allowed to bring dependent.

Please contact UTHM International Office at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. for inquiries.

*Visa with reference (VDR)/Family application (Checklist)¬†‚¨áÔłŹ


Late submission of dependent passport near to the expiry date of the Social/Special Pass which you obtained from Immigration in your passport upon arrival.

Please submit your passport/document to UTHM International Office for Dependent Pass endorsement within 7 days arrival in Malaysia to avoid paying additional charges. Immigration Department may not endorse dependent pass if late submission. Immigration may request your dependent to return to home country.

Please be advised that the requirement of a minimum average bank financial statement of RM10,000 per family instead of RM1,500 per person applies to all students with dependents.

Malaysian Immigration Department may not endorse dependent pass if the student submit late the document after arriving in Malaysia. If Immigration reject your dependent pass application, your family are required to exit Malaysia and re-apply.


Dependents who have overstayed in Malaysia will be brought to the Enforcement Unit, Immigration Department 2 times for verification to the Immigration Enforcement Officer, accompanied by UTHM International Office staff. Any penalties/compound must be borne by the student. The process for overstay case will take 4 - 8 weeks for Immigration issue a Special Pass.


Students and dependent are responsible to monitor the expiry date of your pass and visa. Overstaying is an offence in Malaysian Law. Immigration will impose a penalty ranging from¬†RM1,000 ‚Äď RM5,000¬†depending on the duration of your overstay. You may be blacklisted and deported back to your home country. You can be prohibited to enter Malaysia for a period of time. You may even be¬†imprisoned.


Leaving Malaysia without cancelling your student pass will result in the forfeiture of your Personal Bond deposit by Immigration Malaysia and can cause consequences if student decides to apply to another University within Malaysia.