Skip to main content

New Student (Outside Malaysia)

New Student (Outside Malaysia)

Visa Application for Student in Home Country

International students who currently OUTSIDE MALAYSIA need to apply Visa Approval Letter (eVAL) ONLINE through Education Malaysia Global Service (EMGS).  It advisable student to apply VAL minimum 8 Weeks before your registration date at UTHM.

International students who wish to study full-time at any educational institution in Malaysia must apply for a Student Pass. This is a requirement of Regulation 13 of the Immigration Regulations 1963.

  • International students¬†must¬†apply and obtain the approval to study in Malaysia¬†before¬†entering Malaysia.
  • Conversion of an existing Social Pass (Tourist Visa) to Student Visa is¬†strictly not allowed.

As an international student studying in Malaysia you will be granted a student pass and visa for a year (or part of a year), depending on the country which issues your passport. You are personally responsible for the timely submission of the documents to obtain your student visa.

All new application for Visa applications is managed by Education Malaysia Global Services (EMGS) prior of submission to Malaysia Immigration Department.

Postponing Registration

Please take note, it could take 4 - 8 weeks for Malaysian Immigration to approve your Visa application. If you don’t obtain approval in time to begin your studies, you should postpone them to the following semester.


Overstaying is an offense in Malaysian Law. Immigration Department will impose a penalty ranging from¬†RM1,000 ‚Äď RM10,000¬†depending on the duration of your overstay and/or a jail term up to 5 years. You may be blacklisted and deported back to your home country. You can be prohibited to enter Malaysia for a period of time.¬† Please renew your student pass¬†90¬†days (3 Months)¬†before expiry.


It is compulsory for student to have a valid insurance policy throughout your study in Malaysia. Stay protected all round the clock wherever you are. It is imperative that you monitor the expiry date of your Student Insurance Policy to ensure you are always covered. UTHM will advise your insurance on your new application/renewal.

Part-time Work

Student Pass holder is strictly prohibited to work during the period of study without approval by Immigration Malaysia. It is compulsory for a student to apply for a special past to work part-time should you wish to work during the period of your study.